Senior Software Engineer (Payments Team)
HousingAnywhere.com is the biggest global booking platform for mid-term rental accommodation in the world. Being a peer-to-peer marketplace, we create an experience that serves both sides of the rental accommodation market and creates a direct connection between tenants and landlords. HousingAnywhere.com is active in 50+ countries and 400+ cities. We are partners with 160+ universities worldwide and currently target the international students and young professionals market. We are expanding to other audiences as well.
In 2017, we were awarded 4th most innovative company in the Netherlands and the 1st most innovative company in Rotterdam by the Dutch Chamber of Commerce.
In 2018, we have been honored by being the fastest growing propTech company in the Netherlands as part of the Technology Fast 50 ranking of Deloitte.
Our engineering team consists of a group of 30 people (product leads, engineering leads, architects, product owners, front-end engineers, back-end engineers, QA engineers and UX/UI designers), all passionate about our expertise.
Within the engineering team, we are organized in multiple cross-functional teams. By applying for this role, you will have the chance to become part of the Payments team.
We, the Payments team, are responsible for all payments flows of our platform. Which means we take ownership of the following:
- Payments and payouts: internal payments system that handles receiving and sending out the money; integrations with payment gateways and other tools
- Commission: calculation and handling commission HousingAnywhere takes for providing service
- Users payment details: various payment and payout methods and overviews
- New awesome features such as rent collection service, payment requests etc
Our mission as a team is to provide a seamless payment experience for landlords collecting rent through the platform, tenants paying the rent as well as for our finances team overseeing the process.
About your role and impact in the payments team
HousingAnywhere has entered a scale-up phase in which we have seen impressive growth in terms of bookings and liquidity in the marketplace. This growth has brought us many technical challenges. On one end of the stack we build features and improvements to optimize conversions, on the other end we are making our infrastructure more resilient for future growth.
Your role in the team is to contribute to solving these challenges by implementing solutions and assisting our team so that our innovative technology can support future business needs.
As a Senior Software Engineer we expect you to mentor our less senior team members and to work closely with our team lead and PO to help them solve technical challenges they face.
We also expect you to challenge our choices and practices by bringing your opinion in the mix, because only by rethinking our best practices we can really evolve as persons and as a company.
Some of your responsibilities will be:
- Providing a seamless experience for tenants and advertisers when dealing with all money things in the platform
- Working together with the Finances team to develop tools that make their work auditing, processing and validating payouts easier and more reliable
- Developing fault tolerant finances microservices
- Monitoring and improving the performance the APIs
- Managing our services in Kubernetes cluster and through CI/CD
In frontend we are React lovers. We use TypeScript, CSS-in-JS, Redux and all tools related to this stack. Our backend is powered by Go backed with a Postgres database and NSQ messaging. Our main infrastructure is in Google Cloud Platform.
Sounds like a match? Apply and become part of our team!
What we are looking for in a Senior Software Engineer:
- A product-oriented person: you have the internal and final users in mind
- You take responsibility for the quality of your work, you like test automation and you are interested in TDD best practices
- You're a real team player. You understand your colleagues may have different opinions and you consider them to make our product better
- Someone who is pragmatic
- Ability to find a clean and simple solution that could be easily adapted and scaled as the business evolves
- Leadership capabilities
- Interest in new technologies
- You understand that maintainable code is simple code that makes intentions explicit
- Excellent skills in one of Golang, C++ or any other of the main languages
- An educational degree in the field of Computer Science or similar is preferable, although passionate career changers are also welcome
- Solid understanding of web user interface design and web development
- Have 7 years of experience in web development. If you think you can do the job with fewer years experience, don’t hesitate to apply as well
- Experience with payment systems is a plus
- Basic understanding of how to prepare a good (veggie) burger
What we offer:
- Be part of a dynamic and fast growing scaleup, where you can make a real impact.
- Work with an awesome international team! Think 90 people from 25 different nationalities. It’s like being abroad while you’re in the office. Our office language is English as well.
- Work in the amazing city of Rotterdam in an office with an amazing view! On top of this, you are one short train ride away from Amsterdam and The Hague, so weekend trips are easy peasy.
- Friday Beers & Cheers! Get to know your colleagues over drinks while we celebrate our achievements every Friday.
- A structured career ladder. Take control of your career and your growth within HousingAnywhere.
- Budget for Dutch or English classes to help you kick off your stay in the Netherlands, and help you immerse into the Dutch culture.
- Coming from abroad? No worries! We’ve got you covered, we’ll provide you with relocation & visa help.
- And of course, money.
- Full-time position (40 hours a week).
- You will work from our office in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. No Remote.
- Salary will match your experience.
- Starting: ASAP.
Questions? Please email Claire at [email protected]